Let the games begin!

Well if I have to go why not make it an adventure! As many know I am attending the 2010 Olympics and am going to have a different perspective. I am not going as a spectator but I am going as a service to the women and men’s hockey as well as the figure skating. My job is to represent Blackstone who is providing the equipment for the service shop’s at all of these venues. We were asked by Easton Hockey to team up with them and provide an incredible experience for all of the athletes who are participating. Basically if they need something in the realm of equipment repair we will provide it. I have participated in Salt Lake 2002, Torino 2006, and now Vancouver 2010. Hopefully you will be able to see the different perspective of down in the bowels of the arena’s where at times there is completely nothing to do and within minutes you are overwhelmed with tasks such as skate sharpening, riveting, boot fitting, equipment repair.....all the way of providing some beverages and a little piece and quite for some coaches. Please feel free to comment on anything or ask questions.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 1 - 02/15/2010

Well I started out being dropped at the Windsor Airport headed to my connection in Toronto. Always an interesting flight seeing all the familiar landmarks high in the sky. There was not many on the flight which surprised me as I just assumed everyone was going to Vancouver. From Toronto I flew direct to Vancouver where I was picked up in our "official" Olympic car, and was brought to the accreditation's building to check in. It was very well organized and did not take long at all before we were at our first stop which was the figure skate venue. For each venue there are separate entrances that the people go through who have credentials. This means quite a lot of security as you are with the athletes. It is kind of like playing Russian Roulette as they scan your pass and you either get a green light or a red light. Getting a red light is not so good as you have to go through extra security as a "random" selection. The figure skate venue was well run the people who were doing the sharpening were happy with the equipment so we went to find some coaches to talk to, however we did not come by any.
We were now off to the Women's hockey rink where Canada was playing the Swiss. As most of you know it was pretty much a blow out however the Swiss did score a goal and for the most part the girls were very happy about this. I was speaking with one of them after the game and tried my best German out (they speak German primarily in Switzerland) which received quite a few laughs. Turns out she was looking for some type of Rubber Cement to fix her shoes which we have at the men's rink and will be able to help her out tomorrow. At this rink we had some very famous equipment managers from the St. Louis Blues Bert Godin and Ray Halle. Bert has been an equipment manager for years and has become a very good friend. Ray has been his Assistant manager for a few years and also has become a good friend. I also was able to catch up with former NHL equipment manager Mark O'Niel who was also in good form and up for the games. These guys can handle anything and do it with a smile on there faces it was as if they were born to have this job of service.
After catching up on life and sharpening some of the players skates we watched the Scandinavian and Sweden Game. It was much more exciting than the Canadian game as it was not as big of blow out. After the game was over we packed it in and had dinner to return back to our rooms. Its about midnight now on the west coast so I am ready to get some rest as the men's tournament is starting up tomorrow. I will be able to let you know what that is like than. Below are some of the snaps that were taken. Thanks for reading!



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Old hat for you-brand new for us! Thanks for doing this..

Anonymous said...

Steve-this is so exciting-I have been glued to the set since they started the games. I cannot imagine being there but with your commentary-it kind of feels like I am..I will try to look for you tonight in the stands when the Canadians win!! this is great.thanks for including me...stay safe-Judy-Windsor

Unknown said...

Sound like you have a New Perspective on your job!!! Being of service is such a noble cause. Makes a Mom proud.
Hope you are having a blast. I love that you did this blog. I will be checking in often.
XO Mom

Dean said...

I am very interested in the cultural exchange wth the Swiss girls hockey team. Could you tell us more.

Bob said...

Steve, Great work, however i'm not so sure you should have included Dean. Sorry Dean. by the way Dean, is it Switzerland or the hockey aspect where your culutural interests gravitate.

Unknown said...

Bob-I believe Dean's comments do not need clarification as he is merely voicing what many have wondered but few are brave enough to ponder out loud. I can't wait to hear what Steve has to say after his busy day-it seems like hockey games are running constantly today.

Dean said...

It's great to hear what Steve is doing and cultural exchanges are part of it. Try not to read to much into it "Bob". We're very proud of you Steve, see ya back home at the rink.

Steve Wilson said...

Dean I tink you have your regions mixed up you may want to rethink switzerland and go to sweden much better meatalls.

jermarhomer@hotmail.com said...

Steve: Jerry & I love this blog - keep it coming. Jeremy is here in Florida with us watching all the hockey games. Exciting stuff!
Keep safe but most of all have fun & enjoy the experience. Say hi to Dad for us - we miss him too!